Mar 12, 2008

How many states can u name?

CAUTION: Highly unrecommended for America haters :D.
I was working on some papers and got to use abbreviations of American states and had trouble with many of them. I didn't quite knew their full name just by the abbreviations, except for TX, NY and..some that sound obvious to me. So I googled for "state XX" for the ones I didn't know and the results were instantly enbrightening (i guess they didn't invent this word yet). Then I took a break and thought "How many US states DO I know?" Ok given the fact that I lived in the US for a year. I opened the notepad and started to list states one after another, the ones that came to my mind. I had 23 states when I suddenly stopped and there was a loooong pause before I added "Massachusetts". I was just plain curious, the kind of curiousness very reminding me of my childhood, when I used to do stuff like this that apparently has no sense.
For those who "dig" what "i'm talkin 'bout", y'all can try this for yourselves, it's kind of fun :D If you want to do the little experiment and not be influenced, do not click "read more", I put there the list with states as they came to me in a straight memory burst.

texas
new York
new hampshire
vermont
washington
wyoming
louisiana
missouri
tennessee
oregon
iowa
ohio
florida
california
montana
mississippi
virginia
alaska
alabama
arkansas
new england
north carolina
23 south carolina

ps: ok, 22, cause new england ain't a state [blushing]

No comments: